Monday, November 3, 2008

Pardon the Interruption

Maybe it is the time change, maybe the heavy workload of getting the KAL started, maybe all the stress that is in the air...I don't know what but I'm tired. Therefore, I am interrupting the normal new knitter Mondays to instead post just a quick blog today. (I'm planning to veg out tonight!)

A few weeks ago Patrick was reading his National Geographic and he asked me if I had ever heard of Vicuna yarn. I honestly had not and was curious. Well, the Vicuna is a relative of the llama and their fleece is described as making "even cashmere seem harsh." I found the stats interesting as well:

Merino sheep: 160-240 ounces per harvest every year
Cashmere goat: 5-7 ounces a year
Vicuna: 7-8 ounces every 2 years!

Wow. The sweater that was made out of vicuna is a standard ribbed pullover. Retail: $4,575.00. Wow. I am now on a quest to find vicuna just to feel it! Anybody ever seen or felt it?

(Resource: National Geographic)

No comments: