Several years ago at Stitches Midwest I purchased a kit to make the Marmalade sweater (designer: Maureen Mason-Jamieson; yarn kit: Sheldrige Farms). The main color in the sweater is yellow, which I never wear, but I feel in love with the pattern and kit. Every few months I would think about knitting it, but the yellow against my skin always kept me from doing it. Well...on Friday night it hit me. Over dye it red! So I got all my gear together and cooked it in the crock pot.
Here is the original yellow...a nice yellow, but not my color. I am leaving in the paler yellow, just not this bright yellow.
Here is the new red...I used Scarlet from Ashford (an acid dye). I was pleased with how it turned out. There is a little variegation, but just a touch.
And, here is my swatch...
Now, it is a bit hard to envision it from just the sleeve, but I think it will turn out well. I am making the larger size to have plenty of body room (realistically, I'll probably wear it as an inside jacket), but the arms for the large were going to be huge on me. I'm going to use the sizing for the small/medium arms for the cuff and try to get up the right # at the top to match the large body. I'm also going to leave out a band on the sleeves to shorten the sleeve. (I made a slight change in using the lighter color at the bottom band too because it looked nicer against the red.) I'm very excited about the project. So excited that I've changed up my Olympic knitting and this is going to be it (in addition to sewing pennies on my Penny Bag each day).