Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Feather & Fan Top

Tonia is an Internet pattern guru. If it is a great pattern living in Internetland, Tonia will find it. One fabulous find recently was the Liesl from ysolda.com. I decided to dye worsted weight yarn red in the dye workshop specifically for this project. Because we dip dyed the yarn, each skein (unintentionally) came out a shade lighter. I used the darkest skein at the top and then used the lighter ones later in the sweater.


It was such a fast knit and I love the color and fit. This is one project that shows the beauty of the swatch and blocking. I did a swatch and blocked it. I found that the swatch blocked out a LOT because of the lace nature. When I finished knitting the top, my 46" chest sweater was scrunched up to be around a 39" sweater. I blocked it and voila! My new unique top. And the buttons, purchased at Stitches & Scones, were a perfect match. It is such a great pattern, but I do recommend using markers to set off your feather and fan repeat to keep mistakes to a minimum.

2 comments:

Carol said...

It's beautiful, Brownie! I love it! So much so that I immediately bought the pattern off the net after reading your blog post. HA! I am making something sorta similar -- the Orangina by Stefanie Japel. It doesn't look as cute in the pattern pics, but I saw others on Ravelry that looked nice. About 1/3 of the way done.

Brownie Knits said...

Thanks! I thought it was a fun one, and it was super fast!